(Except that Zinnia actually requested “Twenty-Five Things I Want To Do Before I Die”. As our teachers used to tell us, but did we listen: ALWAYS READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY.)
(Unfortunately, I didn’t spot the slip until the list had been compiled, with a certain amount of assistance from K, as we hung out in a gloriously and unexpectedly sunny PDMG#1, on the first day of our 11-day holiday.)
(So here’s a list of things that, if we might be so bold, we think that you should do, before you die. We’ve done most of them. But not all of them.)
1. Go for a balloon ride in Cappadocia.
2. Eat in a three-star Michelin restaurant.
3. Cross the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct by narrow boat.
4. Sunbathe in the nude, in public. It’s not exhibitionism; it’s liberation.
5. Meet one of your heroes.
6. Become a god-parent.
7. Sing karaoke.
8. Do a stint of regular voluntary work.
9. Attend a performance of Steve Reich’s Music For 18 Musicians.
10. Visit the Museu Calouste Gulbenkian in Lisbon.
11. Buy an original work of art.
12. Overcome a fear.
13. Pick something that you’re good at and do it really, really well, to the point where you achieve public recognition for doing it.
14. Become good friends with someone at least twenty years older than you.
15. Become good friends with someone at least twenty years younger than you.
16. Experience an anal orgasm. (See #12 above.)
17. Forgive those who have wronged you; it will set you free.
18. Watch 12 Angry Men.
19. Listen to June Tabor’s And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.
20. Read Kazuo Ishiguro’s The Remains of the Day.
21. Order the petit pot au chocolat at the Bibendum Oyster Bar (after lunching on their oysters, naturally).
22. Visit the site of the My Lai massacre.
23. Descend into the Valley of the Kings on a donkey, shortly after daybreak.
24. Drink a pint of Marston’s Pedigree.
25. Eat a slice of Passionate Carrot Cake from the Chatsworth Farm Shop.
How many have you done?
And which ONE (repeat ONE) thing would you add to the list?