It’s been a good while since I last guest-blogged… but here’s me and four other panellists (including SwissToni and JonnyB), giving five current recipients of so-called “A&R buzz” a Juke Box Jury-style Blind Tasting, over on the collaborative music blog The Art Of Noise.
Last time we did this, a full 18 months ago, we found ourselves waxing lukewarm over such future luminaries as The Ting Tings, Laura Marling and, er, Joe Lean & the Jing Jang Jong. So take heed: here’s where The Stars Of Tomorrow are made!
Continue reading “The Art Of Noise: 5×5 II.”
1. Diamond Geezer’s Two Minute Silence expanded upon the concept of “Lest we forget” to memorable effect. This one haunted me all week.
2. Clare Boob Pencil’s Fairy Tale series fondly examined her relationship with her grandparents over four decades and five superb, poignant posts. (Follow the “to be continued” links at the end of each episode.)
3. Sarsparilla posted a couple of new dispatches from Darkest Peru. One is a white-knuckle bus ride through almost unimaginably treacherous terrain; the other is a delicious skewering of a couple of hippy travellers.
4. How could I resist listening to this? The first ten seconds of every UK Number One single of the 1980s (via Adrian). (Warning: you may never want to hear a Fender Rhodes again.)
5. It’s been quite a week for my old pal Dymbel. On Thursday evening, he and Dymbellina celebrated 25 years as a couple, K and I joining them at Restaurant Sat Bains for possibly the best meal I have ever eaten. And yesterday evening, we attended the launch event at Bromley House for Dymbel’s first published adult novel, The Pretender. I’ll be posting a review of the book as soon as I’ve read it – but in the meantime, here’s an introduction in the author’s own words.
My GOD. That was such a spectacularly boring day – slow on the work front, heavy on the “sitting in on an irrelevant conference call” front, light on any other potential distractions – that I nearly blogged.
I said nearly.
Phew, close call.
There’s only one possible remedy to today. LeftLion pub quiz, bring it on!
Stocks and shares on my reality index are climbing, whilst my imagination exchange has nosedived and is about to crash and burn. I am creatively bankrupt, and the bailiffs are hammering at the door.
Fifteen reasons and counting, from the ever-dependable (and occasionally comprehensible, which is always nice) Unreliable Witness.
Congrats to Salvadore Vincent of Smaller Than Life for coming up with this ingenious little stocking-filler-slash-toilet-companion:
Needless to say, Venn That Tune has My Sort Of Thing written all over it, being:
a) A book which isn’t really a “book” book, as I’m too lazy and shallow to read many of those.
b) All about the Pop Music.
c) All about the Stats, mmm, Stats!
A fab idea. I commend it to the group.