Before I announce the final results of our seven-year quest, and the ultimate answer to our oft-asked question, here’s our customary round-up of the songs which you loved and loathed the most.
As always, scores are derived by dividing the total scores for each song by the number of people who voted for it, thus producing an average score.
(Note: This is where 1969’s popularity asserts itself most clearly, with six songs placed within the Top Ten.)
1. Heart Of Glass – Blondie.
2. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick – Ian Dury & the Blockheads.
3. Dancing In The Street – Martha Reeves & the Vandellas.
4. For Once In My Life – Stevie Wonder.
5. Blackberry Way – The Move.
6. Albatross – Fleetwood Mac.
7. I’m Gonna Make You Love Me – Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations.
8. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) – The Offspring.
9. Where Do You Go To My Lovely – Peter Sarstedt.
10. You Got It – Roy Orbison.
46. (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice – Amen Corner.
47. Enjoy Yourself – A+.
48. Belfast Child – Simple Minds.
49. Don’t Cry For Me Argentina – The Shadows.
50. Heartbeat/Tragedy – Steps.